How to remove hair dye from skinon March 12, 2013
Hair coloring is the popular practice among youngsters and adults alike for style or necessity. The dye, however, is a permanent pigment that changes the color of the hair and in the process of its application a small amount of smearing and brush offs here and there is unavoidable. These stains around our ears, forehead, hands, back etc can become a formidable mess to clean if not acted promptly. Instead of opting for harsh removers like mineral spirits, paint thinner, or turpentine, there are plenty of items available around us at home that will take the paint off just as easily without distressing the sensitivity of our skin.
Given below are steps which can help in situations for quick and cautious stain removal.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Time required: 10 minutes
Baby oil or greasy crème
Acetone (nail polish remover) for removing black dye
Hair dye removal products
• The easiest way to remove dye marks from body is by baby oil. Baby oil, a harmless alternative to irritating removers, can easily remove paint from your skin and leave it feeling clean and soft. Dab cotton balls in any branded baby oil or oil-based cream and lightly clean away the stain without harming the skin.
• Toothpaste can be used similarly to get good results. Apply toothpaste on a cotton ball and delicately brush it along the hair lining to remove the unwanted stains without impairing the skin area.
• Take a cotton ball and apply nail polish remover (acetone) on it and gently wipe off the dye stains from the skin. However, the user needs to be sure that his/her skin is not sensitive to such polish removers. It is better to check for the skin response first by applying some of the acetone inside of your arm and look for reaction. If there are rashes or irritation there it is advised not to try this method.
• Another helpful source is vinegar. It removes dye from skin and can also prove to be beneficial especially for cleaning oily skin. Being acidic in nature, vinegar strips off the dead skin cells away from the applied area promoting growth of new cells
• The dye sometimes can be strong enough and might not go away easily, applying some warm water and soap in such situations as soon as possible can remove it easily. It might not come off in the first wash in that case it is better to remain patient and try once more. But the user have to be careful that no residue of soap is left behind while washing as it might cause further irritation on sensitive skin.
• It is best advisable to rub petroleum jelly around your scalp and ears before dyeing the hair as this will prevent the colorant to be affixed to the skin. However in case of late realization dip a cotton pad on the petroleum jelly and leave it overnight. The stain will vanish well without side-effects.
• Blot any vegetable oil on the affected skin. The oil will weaken the bond between the paint and skin and will remove it fast without effort.
• There are moisturized tissues or baby tissues available in the market. These tissues also can be utilized to rub away the stains when fresh and mild.
Frequently asked questions:
Ques: What is the most common way to remove hair dye?
Ans: Considering the availability of items, rinsing the area thoroughly with warm water and mild dish soap is the most common method to remove hair dye.
Ques : What is the easiest way to remove hair dye from skin?
Ans: Dabbing a bit of petroleum jelly on the skin and leaving it for some time eases off the process of removing the stain and is possible the easiest method.
The skin should not be rubbed hard while cleaning the dye stain from the skin as it can cause scouring away of the skin and cause irritation.
After removing the stain, it is advisable to apply extra lotion or cream to the area for a couple days to restore the area and prevent any further complications.
Things to watch out for:
The basic factor which one needs to remember is to act quickly without much delay in such situations. The longer the stain is left unattended on the skin the tougher it gets to remove it. The user should remove the stain immediately after washing their hair, or else, the dye will penetrate into the skin making the process lengthy and stressful. However, one needs to be very cautious not to get any of these products into the eyes.